Pilling St John’s CE Primary School
Before and After School Club Policy
After School Club Policy (Night Owls) and Breakfast Club Policy (Early Birds)
After School Club Policy (Night Owls) and Breakfast Club (Early Birds)
Updated: April 2019
Purpose of the policy
- To describe how the school delivers a breakfast club and after-school club service which is affordable, sustainable and of quality.
Through our Breakfast Club and After-School Club we intend to:
- Provide opportunities for fun, enjoyment and learning through a range of activities.
- Encourage children to develop friendships between age groups and work together cooperatively.
- Ensure each child feels happy, safe and secure, allowing them to learn and develop freely in a play centred environment.
- Encourage children to take responsibility for themselves and their actions.
- Encourage children to develop positive attitudes and respect for themselves and others, in an environment free from bullying and discrimination.
- After School Club runs during term time Monday-Friday, starting at 3:30pm closing at 5:30pm. There is an option to extend this time to 6pm at an extra charge but this must be booked in advance.
- Breakfast Club starts at 7.50am with 7:30am provision available for pre-booked places.
- Children can be collected at any time during the hours the club runs.
- Children will make their own way to the club at the end of the school day, unless there is a need for an adult to accompany them (Nursery/Reception).
7:30- 8:45 Breakfast Club – £5 per child
7:50-8:45 Breakfast Club – £3.50 per child
3:30-5:30 After School Club – £ 7.50 per child
3:30-6:00 After School Club – £ 9.00 per child
A 50p discount will be applied for siblings.
Bookings made with less than 48 hours’ notice will be charged an additional 50p
Places that are cancelled with less than 1 weeks’ notice will be still charged
The extended hours must be booked in advance
Admission, booking procedures and payment of fees
- Registration forms are available from the school office or they can be downloaded from our website. These must be completed prior to a child starting at the club.
- Booking must be made via the Office Administrator, who can be contacted at school or emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org, she will then confirm your child’s place.
- Places are allocated on a first come first serve basis and are based on availability of staff to child ratio.
- The club is open to all children enrolled from EYFS to Year 6.
- Emergency contacts and password must be given before a child can attend the club.
- Regular slots should be booked before the end of the previous term in advance of the term starting.
- Fees are to be paid on receipt of the invoice on Parentmail.
- If a booking needs to be cancelled or changed, a minimum of 1 weeks’ notice must be given, or fees will still be payable.
- One-off late requests need to be confirmed with school via telephone or in person. If a place is available for your child the fees must be made as soon as the invoice has been raised.
- Should you no longer wish your child to attend After School Club, you must give at least 1 weeks’ notice to the office email@example.com .
- If a session has not been paid for, in advance, we reserve the right to refuse the child, and a member of staff will contact you to arrange immediate collection.
- If a parent is having trouble with payment of their fees, they should contact a member of the leadership team as soon as possible.
- In the unlikely event that there is debt against an account, the place will be cancelled until all fees have been paid. The place may be reinstated once all outstanding debts have been cleared, in agreement with the Headteacher, and subject to availability.
- Some concessions may be available. Please arrange a meeting if you would like to discuss this.
Absence and refunds
- If your child has been booked into Breakfast Club or After School Club in advance and they are absent from school, the fees are still payable.
- There will be no charge if the child misses a session due to a school educational or residential trip.
- Refunds will be returned onto the original card and not in cash.
- Breakfast Club and After School Club is usually based in Maple Classroom. Different activities are carried out in other locations within the school premises.
- If Breakfast club and After School Club is being based in a different location, such as during parent evenings, signs will be displayed informing parents of where to collect their children.
Register and Collecting
- A register of children who attend each club is taken at the start of each session. This register is kept at reception in school.
- Parents should collect their children via the main entrance.
- Parents are required to sign the register when collecting their child. They must also inform a member of staff before leaving with their child.
- If a parent is unable to collect their child as arranged, they must ring school.
- If someone else will be collecting your child, the After School Club staff or office staff must be informed.
- If someone else will be dropping off your child, the Before School staff or office staff must be informed.
Late collection from After School Club
- If a child has not been collected by the end of the session, parents will be contacted in the first instance by telephone. The additional contacts parents have provided will be telephoned in the second instance. If these contacts are unavailable after approximately 30 minutes, the police and Social Care will be informed.
- If a child is picked up late a charge of £3 will be made for every 15 minutes beyond the collection time. This will commence from the third time the child is collected late.
- There will be time for children to eat a healthy snack prepared by staff during the registration period at the beginning of the session.
- Fresh drinking water is available to the children at all times.
- A range of activities are planned each session for the children in After School Club. These may include role-play, creative, reading, computers/iPads, learning & discovery, outdoor activities, movies as well as an opportunity to complete homework.
- The age of the children is considered when planning activities to ensure they are appropriate.
- Children and staff are expected to follow the school policies whilst attending the After School Club.
- The school’s behaviour policy will be followed. Only in extreme cases will a child be excluded for a fixed term or permanently.
Health & Safety
- Staff must follow the school’s Health and Safety, Online Safety, Safeguarding Policies and related documents to ensure the safety of all children.
- The procedures to follow in the event of a fire or evacuation are the same as school procedures.
- All staff must make themselves familiar with the above documents.
- In case of emergency (such as medical or missing child) a member of the Senior Leadership Team will be informed immediately, and procedures followed.
- There must be a qualified paediatric first aider on site during sessions.
- A first aid kit will be taken outside when children participate in outdoor activities.
- All accidents will be recorded in the school’s accident book and a medical form will be completed. The accident will be reported to the parent/carer when collecting their child.
- Parents/ Carers of any child who becomes unwell during their time at the club will be contacted as soon as possible.
- All staff must be made aware of the children who have Individual Health Care Plans and what they contain.
- All staff will adhere to the Staff Code of Conduct and all school policies.
- The maximum number of children will not exceed a ratios outlined for the children’s ages.
- All After School club staff are DBS checked and must attend Child Protection induction and/or training. All staff must be familiar with the Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy and related documents and be clear about how to deal with safeguarding concerns.
- Staffing arrangements are considered to meet the needs of children who have special needs
Our staff: child ratio is
1:10 for 8 year olds and over
1:8 for 3 year olds and over
1:4 for 2 year olds
Breakfast Club is supervised by: Miss Kellett – Breakfast Club lead
Breakfast club assistants will be employed from existing school staff
After School Club is supervised by: Miss Haslam- After School Club lead
After school assistants will be employed from existing school staff
In addition to Breakfast club staff, other school staff members are on site from 7: 45am at the latest onwards
Staff levels may fluctuate to meet current needs.